Subscribe For Free Updates From The DMS Team!

Get the Lastest News about our Manga!

Saturday, July 19, 2014

One Piece Critique

One Piece Critique

One Piece (ワンピース Wan Pīsu) Is a Japanese Manga  series written and illustrated by Eiichiro Oda. Serialized since Agust 4 , 1997 on Weekly Shōnen Jump and  a series adaptations by Toei Animations  which began broadcasting on Japan in 1999 that has over 600 episodes.


One Piece

The plot of the series begins after the death of Gol D. Roger  , also known as the king of pirates , who before his death declares  to all the world that he has  left his treasure  , the "One Piece"  , and whoever finds it will  claims it along with the title of King of Pirates. A few years later , the young man Monkey D. Luffy   inspired by his pirate idol decides to find the "One Piece" and become the next King of Pirates.


So once again it's time for me to  critique another series , as always please remember this is my opinion and if you disagree with me it's perfectly fine. 



Well One piece plot is as you might have seen in other "Battle Manga" pretty simple....hmm..something bothers me from the picture above...there is something missing.....

The plot has been doubled!


That's better , but no my intention is by no means address the..."plot" of One piece..at least not that plot , but rather  I would like to make a note here and add that despise the fact that the series has over 600 episodes and they barely have cover any distance at all...

My Point ^

One piece characters does develop as the time passes , not only  as a character but physically as well.. and...in some cases maybe...  a huge development... but before I completely address One Piece plot and the problems I have with it , I would like to mention 2 important things

  1. Some might say that I'm way to harsh with the Anime I'm criticizing and that is really easy to criticize something and in the end it's just a biased opinion.
To that I would like to answer that even if I don't like the genre  nor the story itself I try to be as objective as possible which bring the second point. 


   2.  "Anime is not meant to be logic , it's just meant to entertain" 

Logic , the enemy of Anime?

That is something so many people have told me and the fact that Anime is  meant to entertain  as it's primarily objective is something so many fans   use to defend an anime which lacks or  has too many dumb or illogical events as the series progress. I do not say Anime should not  focus on entertaining or that they need to  focus on having a super complex and flawless story to be good , though  the previous  reasoning it's why so many people consider anime as nothing more than something  childish.

Well to get back on topic , One Piece plot is really straightforward which let's the viewers  know that "Epic" battles are the main focus of the series and the series does very well to deliver that.

As I mentioned above the development of One piece is   really good , the characters grow and  show what they have learn from previous battles or experiences, they also keep scars or marks that were left from previous battles which I believe is something  a lot better than the classic "Main character gets trashed , he doesn't even have  a single scratch on the next scene or after the fight"


Background story on One Piece might be  a little tricky , once could say that they barely mention something from the world that surrounds  Luffy and his crew or that most of the information it's given it just to explain the current episode or  something they decided to throw there just to explain the necessarily main character flash back. Like when new characters are introduced or  just need to serve as fillers , but actually One piece does have a good  background story were the viewer (if does bother to notice) can connect the pieces of information that are thrown in the different chapters to have a good idea of the world One Piece  take place in.
Because who wouldn't want to live in a world
where huge birds try to eat your head?


Script....well...err...I can say that the script of One piece is really...creative... 
Most of the thing that happens outside of battle(and sometimes even in battles) can be....random... at best , but one cannot deny the originality of the things that happens on One piece.
Their characters are also unique...even if the main character is mostly...uniquely stupid...

I won't deny I wanted to do those kind of things as a kid...
Now...it's time to address the last point , funny enough I found  a certain picture that got me to think.

Wise words I would say

Well it's true that One Piece  main flaw is the series art , but   the art does not define how good a series can be ; to name an example Crayon Shin Chan  didn't have a great art and still was a pretty entertaining and enjoyable Anime/Manga. 

My main problem with One Piece is besides the quantity of episodes  and the fact that so many of them are not related to the search of the One Piece , besides the huge lack of some sense and logic in certain parts of the series just make it less enjoyable for me to watch , although I recon the series positive points  it's negative points stand out to much.

References!




Well that ends this week critique , I hope you have enjoyed it and hope to read your  thought in our comment section , don't be afraid I don't bite!
For next week the last critique of the Shonen Trinity will be Bleach , really looking forward to it.
And before I finish , I would like to add  before my awesome EVALUATION TABLE OF JUGMENT!
Some of you might have notice that some of us here at DMS like candy colored equines...and while doing my research I found certain image that I found hilarious... so enjoy it!

Been so long since I last saw someone using animals as objects ,
remind me of the Flintstones

Pirates have nothing to do with Samurais you say?
Tell that to Zoro




    


Share it~ →
FOLLOW US →
SHARE IT →

2 comments:

best entertainment blogs
best entertainment blogs