Subscribe For Free Updates From The DMS Team!

Get the Lastest News about our Manga!

Thursday, October 9, 2014

Code Geass:Lelouch of the Rebellion Critique

Code Geass: Lelouch of the Rebellion(コードギアス 反逆のルルーシュ Kōdo Giasu: Hangyaku no Rurūshu) is a Japanese anime series created by Sunrise, directed by Goro Taniguchi and written by Ichiro Okouchi.



Code Geass: Lelouch of the Rebellion

The plot of the series is set on an alternative world where 3 main superpowers that controls most of the economical and military power:


  • Britannia
  • The Chinese Federation
  • The European Union
From which Britannia is currently in war with the other 2 superpower for control of the entire world (how original...), The protagonist of the series is Lelouch Lamperougue one of the sons of the current emperor of the Britannian empire.

The story begins in Japan which by the time is under the rule of the Britannian empire, Lelouch who was sent as an exile to this country and he swears to one day destroy the Britannian empire and his father for all the crimes they have committed. 

Seven years later as a high school student, during a terrorist attack among the  Japanese rebels, he meets a strange girl that grants him a the power of the Geass.

This power allows him to bend the will of those who  have direct eye contact with him.
He sees this new power as the tool he needed to finally destroy the Britannian empire and thus begins his plans for revenge.


Well here it is, but before anyone decide to send me several letters with murderous intentions!
Just haer me out before, I might not like the series though that doesn't mean I will be any less objective that with other series or series I like.

I  will be indeed ruthless (no doubt with that one), but I will give credit where credit is due and will recognize the Anime good points if any.

And like always remember this is entirely my opinion and it's perfectly fine if you disagree with me on anything.

The Plot

Code Geass plot has 1 single problem, at least in my opinion...but that problem is so HUGE that I will leave it for the end of the critique. In other aspects Code Geass does pretty well, the characters motivation while maybe a bit lacking for my taste are still easily understandable and Lelouch is a charismatic enough character to  feel sympathy for.

The whole Geass thing, while weird at the beginning is something we can buy (after all what is a Shonen without super powers right?). While I mostly believe C.C. is  there for eye-candy and mainly is just there to be cute and  for fan-service at the beginning, she ends up being an interesting and complex character.

Not comfortable but definitely stylish~

Also the "moral decisions" made on the series are somewhat good (still not  really shocking nor anything really deep, but good enough) and the clear conflicts between the invading forces of the Britannian empire and the Japanese natives are among the best characteristics of the series.

Development

Most characters in Code Geass show an amazing development, some better than others (sadly in some cases they turn interesting characters into weirdos or even...nvm) 
The main plot advances at a nice phase and each chapter we get to see more and more character growth. We get to see characteristics of characters more in depth and even some funny and charming moments.

Hey I didn't knew Kakashi was in here

Background Story


Even if the whole past of the earth  before the Britannian invasion to Japan is mainly overlooked, it is still explained fairly simply and the impact in had on the former Japanese citizens is undoubtedly real.
The scars left by the submission of a previously proud and free country is shown since the very beginning which adds more impact into the audience.

I will never like this mechas design..

Script

Lelouch is portrayed as a really smart young boy and even tho he does act and speak as one, I didn't really saw anything that would qualify as "smart".
The strategies he uses to fight against his siblings and the strategies he uses to hit the empire in a guerrilla style are by no means something that could be on the same levels as strategist such as Hannibal or Sun Tzu  and I know it's an Anime, but with the whole alternative timeline and freedom an Anime has..they should have tried  a bit harder or at least just do something better than "The Author says the protagonist is really smart..so just believe he is smart ok?"


I will admit..he does look Fabulous regardless~

Art

On the art section Code Geass does pretty well, even if they don't have the art quality of other anime that would fit the story more like Death Note. The art itself it's pretty solid, the animations are done well and there is even lots of "plot" for the fans.

One thing I was wondering though is why they had so many Shoujo characteristics (Slim large bodies with large faces and pretty normal female bodies...), but then while doing my research I found out the original character design was done by Clamp   things got a bit more clear.

It does my friend...it does
explain quite a lot
The Mecha design is not bad either, though I will never understand why they always have to pick the humanoid like mechanized robot? Oh well the visuals for the fights and  overall scenarios are well detailed and add to the  devastated city atmosphere, the use of futuristic technology is another nice element that give in some scenes add a good touch.

Because swords will never get old!
Finally the moment you all have been waiting for...that HUGE problem I have with Code Geass and why I dislike the series so much, so far I have already said I can buy into the whole super power thing, the conflicts and even if Lelouch can be boring at times there are plenty of other interesting characters to keep the Anime from getting boring.

There is "plot" definitely in the series, but since the characters have strong Shoujo characteristics that's not much of a problem, the art is decent enough , the Mechas are well..pretty?...and everything seems to be ok.

So what could possible be my problem you ask?

Well...on the very first minutes of the first episode of this Anime, while the narrator is explaining the back story....something caught my attention.

Something that I couldn't possible tolerate, you see my dear readers for Code Geass to actually make any sense we would need to overlook something really important.

I have nothing against different timelines, in fact I love stories that deal with the multiverse theory or that explore the possibilities of how would things have been if "x" or "y" event would have been different.

But by no means...and I mean it when I say it, I can possible believe that something like Code Geass would happen if 2 of the most important events in our entire history are just thrown away and erased.

Those events my friends would be World War I and World War II, and really just let me rant a little on this one.

I'm by no means and expert on the subject,but I do know how important these events are, since they changed the world and shaped it as we know it today. Let's make a little review of some characteristics of Code Geass and I will explain why is it impossible for those things to even exist without this 2 important events.


Obviously the Britannian empire is based on the British empire from the late 16th century to the late 18th century, while the other 2 superpowers would be the  conformed by the European countries that where enemies with the British Empire and what I presume would be China and the Asian part of Russia.

The results of the first world war took out the strongest monarchies at the time, so it makes sense that if you want to say that  monarchies and empires still exist, it does make sense to take world war 1 off your timeline..but what happens with the whole American continent?

In the anime is shown that indeed it was discovered and colonized, then..we just say French revolution never happen? The USA independence and war against the British just never crossed their minds? What about the rest of America (the American continent), we are to believe that no colony ever tried to get it's independence against the monarchies? No one ever stood up and thought about revolution since the Emperor got a Geass and could somehow prevent all that from happening?

Then surely technology could have progress to the point they have Mechas and machine guns and thanks with 3 cannons without the need of world war I and II happening right?

And I can definitely believe that without the theories of Einstein  and other brilliant German scientific (some of them war prisoners) we can get things like cool photon cannons and more right?

Because it's the Anime world, things doesn't need to be explained and we can say "Hey screw logics, physics and history; just enjoy the giant robots and the plot~"

Well in an Anime like Gin Tama , Excel Saga and similar where the important thing is just entertaining the viewer with jokes and more it's easy to pass.

Hey In Dragon Ball there are individuals capable of annihilating entire solar systems without sweating, what would possibly be wrong taking out world war I and II. There is nothing wrong with fantasizing a little right?

BUT! in an Anime that bases most of it's plot and character motivations on the scars of war and the impact it had on  the whole world. That says to value moral choices and  prioritize how simple individuals with enough determination can have a huge impact in a global level.

I can't simply overlook so many important things and say "Let's enjoy the pew pew and boing boing"


Well that concludes my "ranting"if you have read everything till this part and still believe I'm overreacting, feel free to leave me any threatening letter or comment down below since you  read all this you deserve to speak your mind as well.

To finish this critique and before my Evaluation Table I would like to thank you all for reading this pretty long critique, I would love to hear your opinions and thoughts on the comment section.

This is Kyou wishing you all a nice day and expect more Doujins and Rant  from Kyou only on DMS.

So...much ranting...




Share it~ →
FOLLOW US →
SHARE IT →

2 comments:

best entertainment blogs
best entertainment blogs